Math Pirate

Math Pirate
Always on the search for hidden math treasures.

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Connections

I received this email today on the last day of virtual instruction.

“I hope you know that you are the best math teacher anyone could ever have. Your teaching methods are amazing and you take time to get to know your students and I love you so much! ️”

As a teacher, it choked me up and melted my heart. But as I began preparing for my last google meet and last day of remote instruction, I reflected on the school year but more specifically, the last four months and how I have or have not connected with kids, kept them engaged and established relationships. Earlier this week while listening to the news, I heard that the student engagement rate from another school, during remote instruction, was forty percent. I calculated my own informal grade level statistics and discovered ninety-five percent of my students were engaged as some time and in some form throughout this process of remote instruction. I wish I could take all the credit, but I can’t, it was a combined effort of parents, students, administration, counselors, support staff and teachers. Also, there’s that other five percent that I could not reach.

It has been a difficult experience for ALL: parents, teachers, students, and administrators.  As difficult as this experience was, it has taught me many things. Yes, I have honed my technology skills, I have become more flexible and creative, but there is so much more that I have learned.

I have learned how amazing and adaptable my students are in light of some of the struggles they face at home.  I have learned that parents are incredible role models, working essential jobs, taking care of their own children, trying to teach, earn an income and provide for their families. I have confirmed that my 8th grade team is an amazing support system who always put students first. Out of all that I have learned as a result of remote instruction, the most important thing I have learned is how crucial and vital the student connections are to both me and my students. I have always tried to make connections, but now I feel they are more important than ever. No one knows what to expect next year but one thing I do know, that even though I try, next year  I will work even harder on making connections and developing better relationships with my students, because it's the connections and the relationships that really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment